Please remember to prepare a performance piece that is appropriate to our period[1].
some sites with songs:
http://www.lukehistory.com/resources/ballads.html
http://www.theroutiers.org/culture/song.htm
poetry or short dramatic pieces are also encouraged as are filks of period songs (writing new words to old music was a very popular thing).
[1] There will be no chastisement[2] for people who perform out of
period works, but please try to make sure that whatever you choose has
no references to anachronism
[2] The exception is Barret's Privateers. Singing Barret's Privateers
will get you shot.
This is what two of our members came up with in response.
PRITCHARD'S CAVALIERS
Oh the year was 1638...
How I wish I was in England now!
When our orders came from Captain Brock
To drive the Spanish from their rock.
CHORUS:
Poor Farnshaw! He was told
We'd raid the isle for some Spanish gold
We'd fire our guns, drink some beer
He was left behind on a foreign pier
The last of Pritchard's Cavaliers.
We landed on the rocky shore...
How I wish I was in England now!
We charged the beach and fired our guns,
And in three heartbeats they were overun.
(chorus)
The Spaniards fell beneath our blades...
How I wish I was in England now!
Our losses they were very few
Except poor Philbert, who we barely new.
(chorus)
We stormed the fort and we took the gold...
How I wish I was in England now!
Snodrass fought like a man possessed
But he wore no armour upon his breast
(chorus)
Snodgrass was hit with a musketball...
How I wish I was in England now!
As he left this world he swore to his mates
He'd duel with the angels at the pearly gates
(chorus)
As we sailed away and we counted our crew...
How I wish I was in England now!
Young Farnshaw had been left behind
With the washerwoman who he wined and dined
(chorus)
He fought his way to a friendly town...
How I wish I was in England now!
He found two nice lasses to share his bed
But their father put a bullet into his head
(chorus)
Now Farnshaw died in his 17th year....
How I wish I was in ENGLAND NOW!
It's been 3 long years that he's been that old
Now he won't become a man and claim his father's gold
(chorus)
Lyrics by Glen and Craig Shackleton - 2006
They were not shot.